Promoting Resource Efficiency and Sustainable Consumption and Production to Maintain a Sustainable Future
West Asia Region is an economically diverse region with economies ranging from Oil rich to least developed economies. This has resulted in inefficient use of non renewable resources and unsustainable lifestyles. Our aim and objective is to ensure that all resources, especially natural non renewable resources, are produced, processed and consumed in a resource efficient, sustainable and environmentally sound manner. Thus maintaining sustainable economy, green growth and transforming grey economies to green economies and ensuring sustainable development.
The Overall Objectives of the RE Sub-Programme are:
- Assist governments in greening their economies through the Green Economy Initiative (GEI) by providing advisory services and technical assistance. Service which can assist to reshape and refocus policies, investments and spending in key priority sectors of the economy. Sectors such as renewable energy, Water management, clean technologies, transportation and waste management. Resulting in a low carbon, resource efficient, efficiently managed human and economic resources.
- Assist in mainstreaming resource efficiency, cleaner & safer production into national economic and development planning process and implementation.
- Assist in setting up new National Cleaner Production Centres and strengthening the capacities of the existing ones to enable them to support their respective governments and businesses, with the focus on providing assistance to small and medium enterprises, to implement resource efficiency and move towards green economy.
- Promote sustainable and eco-tourism in the region. Focus on the role of local communities in promoting sustainable tourism.
- Organise, in collaboration with the League of Arab States, UNESCWA, CEDARE and other regional and international partners, a series of Roundtables on Sustainable Consumption and Production in the Arab Region. The roundtables produced the Regional Strategy for Sustainable Consumption and Production in the Arab Region, which was subsequently approved by the council of Arab Ministers Responsible for Environment (CMARE). This regional policy contributed to the Marrakech Process and the 10 Year Framework of Programme.
- Promote and advance SCP and resource efficiency in the region through capacity building, information networking and sharing and pilot projects in priority sectors of economies in the region under 10 Year Framework Programme of Marrakech Process on SCP.
- Promote Sustainable Lifestyle by influencing consumer choice to favour more resource efficient and environmentally sound produced goods and services.
- Work with governments to ensure that policymakers recognise the value of environmental sound investments to economic and sustainable growth, job creation, especially decent job opportunities, and poverty eradication.
- Promote Integrated Solid Waste Management in the region through capcity building of Government, business and other stakeholders.
- Promote sound management of Electrical and Electronic wastes (E-Wastes) in the Arab Region, through capacity building and establishing Public – Private Partnerships and pilot projects in the region. The involvement of the civil societies and NGOs are major contributors to the success of such projects.
- Promote the Phase out of Leaded Gasoline and reduction of sulphur in fuels in the region in cooperation with Partnership for Clean Fuel and Vehicles.
- Promote Green Building Initiative and Sustainable Housing Initiative and Sustainable Construction in the Region.
- Promote Sustainable Transport as the means to green growth and low carbon economy in the region.