Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels:
Strengthened institutions, rule of law and enforcement contribute to support the implementation of multi-lateral environmental agreements and progress towards internationally agreed global environmental goals.
A better understanding of the links between environment and human security is vital for effective conflict prevention, post-conflict reconstruction and promotion of peaceful and inclusive societies.
In the past 60 years, 40 per cent of conflicts have been tied to natural resources and these are twice as likely to relapse into conflict within the first five years.
Targets linked to the environment:
- Target 16.3: Promote the rule of law at the national and international levels and ensure equal access to justice for all
- Target 16.6: Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels
- Target 16.7: Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making at all levels
- Target 16.8: Broaden and strengthen the participation of developing countries in the institutions of global governance
- Target 16.10: Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms, in accordance with national legislation and international agreements
- Target 16.b: Promote and enforce non-discriminatory laws and policies for sustainable development