UN Environment office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia serves as the Liaison Office to the African Union and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa in Ethiopia. Established in 2001, the office acts as a subsidiary to the Africa Office with a mandate to:
- Develop linkages with the African Union Commission to strengthen the environmental dimension of pan-African initiatives in accordance with the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Africa Union Agenda 2063: The Africa We Want (e.g. through supporting the African Common Strategy on Combatting Illegal Trade in Wild Fauna and Flora, promotion of renewable energy initiatives, environmental diplomacy)
- Maintain partnerships with the diplomatic corps based in Ethiopia, especially members of the Committee of Permanent Representatives to UN Environment, to keep them aware of current and emerging environmental challenges and opportunities in Africa and ongoing efforts.
- Strengthen cooperation with UN Economic Commission for Africa and other UN agencies, including the UN Liaison Team in Addis Ababa, through joint programming and thematic alignment.
- Foster a strategic partnership with the Government of Ethiopia (e.g. through developing a country framework agreement) and other partners in the country including academic institutions, civil society organizations and youth.
- Facilitate UN Environment’s operations in Ethiopia and the region and identify new areas of cooperation with relevant partners which could enhance UN Environment’s Program of Work and encourage sustainable development.
Samba Harouna Thiam
Head of UN Environment Liaison Office to AUC, UNECA and Representative to Ethiopia
UNECA Compound, Niger Building, Room 1N16
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia