UN Environment’s education and training activities are founded on the organization’s mission to inspire, inform and enable nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. This is achieved by promoting innovative, action-oriented, and value-based environmental education for sustainable development by ensuring that the environment is taken into account. We aim to build sustainability literacy among all sectors of the population.
We work in close collaboration with other parts of the organization as well as with many external partners, including universities, other UN agencies, governments, environmental education and training centres, non-governmental organizations and the private sector.
UN Environment’s Environmental Education and Training Unit (EETU) is responsible for the implementation of this work. This is done in close collaboration with other relevant Divisions, Branches and Units in the organization, as well as with other partners – mainly institutions of higher learning. Other partners include other UN agencies, governments, national and regional environmental education and training centres, local and international non-governmental organizations and the private sector. We work with these partners to encourage improved coordination of efforts in environmental education and training in the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (DESD).
Provide continued and sustained support to ensure the protection of the environment and the improvement of people’s quality of life by developing and strengthening environmental education and training initiatives which are responsive, locally relevant, and aimed at transforming people’s visions and aspirations into reality for present and future generations.
- Providing governments and people with the opportunity to develop awareness, knowledge, skills and commitment in order to protect and improve our environment for a sustainable future
- Incorporating environment and development dimensions into the educational processes of all countries
- Creating new environmentally-friendly behaviour patterns, encouraging sustainable lifestyles and fostering ethical responsibilities
- Sensitizing individuals, groups, communities and nations to their ecological, economic, social and cultural interdependence and developing general environmental and development awareness
- Fostering environmental education and training for all
- Promoting effective public participation in decision-making with respect to environment and development issues
- Published the UN Environment Strategy for Environmental Education and Training: A strategy and Action Planning for the Decade 2005 – 2014
- Published toolkits (Forest in a Changing Climate; Greening Universities Toolkit; Greening Universities Toolkit V.2.0; and Africa Environmental Education and Training Action Plan 2015–2024 among others)
- Developed and rolled out Massive Open Online Courses
- In collaboration with UNESCO, issued a joint statement on DESD at the 23rd GC/GMEF
- Published and circulated the evaluation of the first University of Joensuu-UNEP Course on International Environmental Law-Making and Diplomacy
- Conducted training for 45 African journalists on Millennium Development Goals and environmental reporting, and produced the Environmental Reporting for African Journalists Handbook / and Manuel de reportage environnemental à l’intention des journalistes africain
- Continued with UN Environment's recurring environmental education, training and networking programmes