We help countries access the technologies they need to develop sustainably.
The Technology Facilitation Mechanism (TFM) has the following objectives:
- To support the achievement of the SDGs.
- Need for a multi-stakeholder collaboration to achieve SDGs.
- To strengthen coherence and synergies among science and technology initiatives within the UN system.
TFM has three main components which include:
- A United Nations Interagency Task Team on Science, Technology and Innovation for the SDGs (IATT), including the 10- Member Group of representatives from civil society, the private sector and the scientific community ( UN Environment and United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs are coordinators),
- A collaborative Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the SDGs (STI Forum) and
- An online platform as a gateway for information on existing STI initiatives, mechanisms and programs.
UN Environment has been involved with the mechanism from the initial concept, and will lend its deep experience gained from other partnerships on technology to ensure the success of the venture. UN Environment already hosts such initiatives as the Climate Technology Centre and Network (with UN Industrial Development Organization), the Climate and Clean Air Coalition to reduce Short-Lived Climate Pollutants, and the en.lighten initiative on energy efficiency.
UN Environment, and the UN system, will continue to support these collaborative efforts, acting in solidarity with and in support of Member States to foster the kind of innovation needed to meet the challenges of achieving a sustainable future.