The third session of UN Environment’s Forum of Ministers & Environment Authorities of Asia Pacific, will take place from 23 to 25 January 2019 in Marina Bay Sands Expo & Convention Centre in Singapore. The Forum will focus on UNEA-4 theme ‘Innovative solutions for environmental challenges and sustainable consumption and production’. The Forum is an opportunity for Member States in Asia Pacific to bring an Asia Pacific perspective to discussions at the world's highest-level decision-making body on the environment, the UN Environment Assembly, which will meet in March 2019 in Nairobi. The meeting will be jointly organized by Singapore’s Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources and the UN Environment.
At the Forum, Member States will:
- Review progress on implementation of UN Environment Assembly resolutions in Asia and the Pacific;
- Review progress of regional forums where UN Environment is the secretariat, including Asia Pacific Clean Asia Partnership, Asia Pacific Adaptation Network, and Acid Deposition Monitoring Network in East Asia;
- Identify priorities and engagement with Major Groups and Stakeholders in Asia Pacific;
- Engage with private sector on environmental solutions;
- Identify priorities and emerging issues from the region to be reflected in preparations for the upcoming UN Environment Assembly;
- Provide regional inputs to the UN Environment Assembly theme and its draft outcome documents at its fourth session; and
- Discuss challenges and opportunities to strengthen the regional environmental agenda for delivering the sustainable development goals and regional commitments to international agreements.
The Forum is also an occasion for UN Environment partners, UN agencies, private sector representatives, scientists, academia, and civil society to bring their perspectives and ideas to achieve the environmental dimension of the 2030 sustainable development agenda.
The 2nd Session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-2) of the United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) in May 2016 adopted Resolution No. 2/2 ‘Role and functions of the regional forums of ministers of environment and environment authorities’ in which it requested the Executive Director, within the mandate of UN Environment, to support and to facilitate convening and/or strengthening the existing regional forums of ministers of environment and environment authorities. In the first session of the Forum of Ministers and Environment Authorities of Asia Pacific held in May 2015, Member States requested the Executive Director of UN Environment to hold regular sessions of the Forum, convening every two years. The second session of the Forum of Ministers and Environment Authorities for Asia Pacific held in Sep 2017 in Bangkok under the theme ‘Towards a resource efficient and pollution free Asia-Pacific’ and provided regional inputs to 2017 UN Environment Assembly as a preparatory process.
2nd floor, United Nations Building, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok 10200, Thailand
Telephone: (66-2) 288-1899 / E-mail: [email protected]
Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources
40 Scotts Road, #24-00, Environment Building, Singapore 228231
Telephone: (65) 6731 9000 / Fax: (65) 6731 9456 / E-mail: [email protected]