The Fourth Intergovernmental Review Meeting of the Global Programme of Action for the Protection of Marine Environment from Land-Based Activities will be held from Wednesday 31 October to Thursday 1 November 2018.
For countries, the meeting is a chance to shape the policy discussions around the future of the Programme as well as decisions that will feed into the fourth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly to be held in Nairobi, Kenya11 to 15 March 2018. It is also an opportunity to renew their commitment to help protecting our oceans from land-based pollution. The meeting is being hosted by the Government of the Republic of Indonesia.
Expected topics for discussion:
- Strategic directions for the Programme in addressing the challenge of marine pollution and supporting commitments and actions from governments and other actors
- Options in development of a targeted global approach to combat marine litter
- Innovative approaches to finance investments in wastewater treatment particularly in developing countries
- Consideration of norms and standard setting with relevant private sector interests in addressing nutrient pollution,
- Options for diversifying the Programme’s funding sources through renewed partnerships with the private sector, foundations and international environmental support programmes.
- Strengthening cooperation with the Regional Seas Programmes to curb marine pollution originating on land
All working and information documents can be found here