Greening economies in the Eastern neighbourhoods (EaP Green)
Green agriculture helps to address both environmental degradation and poverty. The Eastern European, Caucasus and Central Asian (EECCA) region is ideal for the promotion of organic agriculture due to historically low levels of pesticide and fertilizer usage, a large share of small farms, high availability of agricultural labour and close proximity to the rapidly growing organic market in the European Union (EU).
Agriculture makes a substantial contribution to the GDP of many countries in this region and a shift to widespread organic production offers a range of opportunities, linked to a promising export market for organic products. These opportunities include among others new business development in farming and processing, job creation, and preservation of natural capital and ecosystems. In addition to environmental benefits, organic produce, which is free of synthetic or chemical fertilizers and almost free of antibiotics, generates substantive health benefits.
These benefits were identified by UN Environment’s scoping studies on green economy and organic agriculture in Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine, that were carried out in 2011. These studies revealed concrete commercial benefits of expanding organic production in the region, including that:
- Higher prices of organic produce might improve the standard of living of rural communities;
- Organic production allows farmers to access stable markets with integrated modern value chains;
- Organic production can revitalize the food and farm sector because it requires new inputs (e.g. biological pest control agents), equipment, knowledge, and services – all of which create new businesses and job opportunities.
Project Aims and Activities
Please visit our Project Aims and Activities page to learn more about our work on organic agriculture.
- EaP Green Flyer (English | Russian)
- Overview studies: The status and potential of organic agriculture in Armenia | Moldova | Ukraine
- Success stories of organic exporters from Armenia (Bizon 1, Tamara Fruit) | Moldova (Nova Nut | Prograin) | Ukraine (Agroecology | Deddens Agro | Ethnoproduct | Galeks-Agro
- Exporter Toolkit
- Scoping study on green economy and organic agriculture in Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine
- European Market Assessment for the main organic export products from Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine. This report analyses export opportunities for organic products from Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine. Based on international trade data and interviews with EU importers, the report provides detailed information on the most relevant products of three product categories: 1) cereals, oilseeds and pulses; 2) fruits, berries and nuts; and 3) herbs and honey.
- Country Fact Sheets for Armenia | Moldova | Ukraine
- EaP Green Brochure (English | Russian)