The Education pillar focuses on inspiring, encouraging, and supporting universities to develop and implement their own transformative strategies for establishing green, resource-efficient and low carbon campuses.
This provides an opportunity to build stakeholder capacity to deliver systemic, institution-wide integration of sustainability principles into all aspects of university business with the view to improve the sustainability performance of universities globally and to provide support to other stakeholders embarking on their own sustainability journeys.
Further, this initiative aims to enhance the practical relevance of universities to sustainable development. Additionally, institutions of higher learning are encouraged to reorient their curricula in support of sustainable development.
Some flagship education initiatives:
- Guidance to universities and other institutions of higher learning on curriculum review and reorientation towards sustainable development, in line with the principles of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), e.g. Africa Environmental Education and Training Action Plan;
- Greening Universities Initiative e.g. Greening Universities Toolkit and Greening Universities Toolkit V.2.0;
- Environment and Sustainability Seminars and Leadership Programmes;
- Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs) e.g. Disaster Risk Management, Climate Change Adaptation, Marine Litter, and E-Waste, among others; and
- Development and dissemination of information and knowledge resources e.g. Source Books to aid development of graduate level (masters) curricula and programmes on Green Economy and Ecosystems Management e.g. Forests in a Changing Environment.