Phasing out of lead in paint and the development of an action plan for SAICM emerging contaminants (lead in paint, HHPs, EPPPs, EDCs, & Cd)
This project focuses on the management of SAICM emerging contaminants in South Africa by assessing existing national infrastructures and conducting a gap analysis on existing institutional capacity with the view to identifying cost-effective and environmentally benign alternatives to these emerging contaminants.
The project will undertake the following measures to strengthen the legal and institutional frameworks for Sound Management of Chemicals:
- Assessing the existing national infrastructure and conducting a gap analysis on existing institutional capacity on the management of SAICM emerging contaminants in South Africa.
- In addition, an analysis will be conducted to identify cost-effective, environmentally benign alternatives to these emerging contaminants.
- These activities will be supported by strengthening regulatory enforcement and compliance by training and capacity building programmes aimed at border and customs officials at port of entries to detect illegal trade related to all chemical across the value chain.
- Party: Basel, Rotterdam, Stockholm,
- Country Classification: Developing country
- Special Programme Trust Fund: USD 250,000
- Cofinancing Total: USD 80,000
- Project duration: 24 months