Africa Animal Welfare Conference is an annual conference co-hosted by Africa Network for Animal Welfare (ANAW) in collaboration with UN Environment for professionals and practitioners, coming together to discuss issues that cut across animal welfare, wildlife and environmental conservation.
The year's conference theme was "People, Animals and Planet: One Health, One Welfare".
It attracted over 260 participants globally and was addressed by H.E Ambassador Nehemiah Rotich among other high profile dignitaries.
Several issues emerged at the conference and proposals were put forth for inclusion as sub-themes and topics for AAWC 2019. They include:
- Animal Welfare is a crucial matter that calls for mainstreaming in development across Africa.
- The need for UN Environment to embrace animal welfare as a substantive issue that merits discussion at the UN Environment Assembly sessions.
- The need to incorporate Animal Law into the legal curriculum.
- The importance of involving youth in environmental and animal welfare matters in the continent cannot be under-estimated and requires pro-action.
- There is need for concerted efforts to pursue partnerships with humanitarian agencies so as to improve Animal Welfare and especially Animals in Disaster situations.
- The need to promote sustainable production and consumption.
The Conference offered a vibrant platform for discussion of issues on Animal Welfare against the backdrop of Human Health and the Environment. It gave a fresh outlook to the One Health concept with a clear definition of the link between human-health, animals and the environment.
For more Information kindly click here